The Body
I remember arguing with my mom and
leaving my house. I remember standing on the corner and talking to people I
didn’t know, but who were very friendly. I spent the first night on my own
under a bridge with a homeless man, named Harvey. He smelled bad and was nice
enough to share his blanket. The first night was long and cold and I thought
about going home, once or twice, but decided I was better on my own.
After two weeks, I met up with a
group of people who offered me food, shelter, sex and all the drugs I would
ever want, of course I had to pay with sex, but once that electricity started
running through my veins, I didn’t care about anything else.
I started promising things I couldn’t
make good on and I was left with a brute of a man. He beat and raped me and
then had his friends do the same. I was kicked and punched and I hurt so bad, I
think this is the only time I actually thought about returning home, of course
I would have to get better first.
Better never came. I was starving
and I had lice and I was at my lowest, and I can’t believe it’s only been a
month. I was offered a new drug, I don’t know from who or what kind it was, but
it took me higher than I’ve ever been. I didn’t want to move.
“Who and what is that?” Someone
asked.
“I don’t know, some chick, she’s
been here a week.”
I moaned and they left.
The next time I wasn’t so lucky. I
was raped and tossed in the corner to…die? I don’t know I just know I was
unable to move and I couldn’t talk or cry or scream.
“Get her out of here!” Someone
demanded.
I know I was pulled by my feet.
Someone was patting me down, looking for something: drugs, money, ID. I don’t’
know. It was a guy and he wiped the matted hair out of my face and looked me in
the eye. But I was unable to say anything. I was wrapped in a sheet and then a
green lawn bag was wrapped around me and that was taped all up. I was bound and
I couldn’t move if I could.
I was draped over his shoulder and
carted out and thrown in the back of a pickup truck. I couldn’t see and only
heard the thuds and bouncing while rolling over the uneven pavement. I heard
the splash and felt the cold water as it crept in through the holes and ends of
the garbage bag. I must have sunk to the bottom of a lake, as I felt my feet
hit something, my knees buckled and I fell over.
I lay there in the cold, dark water
and waited. I tried to move again. I couldn’t breathe. It was here where I
died. I’ve been lying here for ages; I have no sense of time now. All I know is
I am now floating and bobbing up and down in this lake and just hope someone
will see me and get me out of this wetness. Yes, I would definitely go back
home, now…if I could.


Comments
Post a Comment