Kudzu Vine



‘Are you sure I look ok?” Greg sighed and rolled his eyes. He’d heard this question a hundred times.
“Yes, you look fantastic.” He reassured her…again. He was getting tired of her insecurity about meeting his mother.
“I’m, I’m just so nervous. I just want to make a good first impression.”  She went on.
“I understand.” He replied dryly.
“I’m hot. Are you hot?” She asked making a fanning motion with her hand.
“Actually, no I’m comfortable. I can turn down the air more.” He said as he glanced in her direction a second while adjusting the air conditioner.
“I don’t believe I’ve ever been this far south. How much further? She asked.
He was hoping she would fall asleep; he needed her to fall asleep.
“About another hour.” He told her.
“It sure is hot down here in October.  What’s all that stuff on the tress? It looks creepy.” She chattered on.
“It is pretty warm. That’s kudzu vine, it grows on everything down here.” He laughed and told her, ‘it’s the vine that’s eating the South.”
“Oh, look, a station. Let’s stop. Can we stop?” She asked.
Without answering her or saying a word, Greg turned into the station. Before he could come to a complete stop she had already hopped out of the car and ran into the station.
Greg entered the station and noticed an old family friend working at the counter. “Hey Earl,” he said.
“Well, well it’s about time you showed up down here, your mother’s getting worried.  You are cutting it close this time.” Earl informed him.
“Yeah, I know. I’m here in time though, it's not supposed to freeze for a few days.”  Greg said as he noticed the girl he was with looking at the bulletin board.
“Look at all these girls. Are they missing? I can’t believe all these pictures are here.” She said as she untacked several flyers and looked at even more that were covered. “Oh my gawd, there’s just so many.”
“Probably got lost in the Kudzu,” he teased as he paid for their drinks. “See you later Earl.” He said as they headed back to the car.
Greg steered the car back onto the road and within an hour she had finally nodded off.
It was easier when the girl slept. She moaned a little when he lifted her out of the car, but after he whispered to her she dozed back off. He laid her gently on top of the bed that was covered with a white nylon netting. He watched as she snuggled down in the bed and curled up on her side.  

Greg placed the fifteen foot ladder in front of the large brick wall that surrounded the large estate. He stepped back and contemplated exactly where to place the metal eye-hook.
“I’d say put it right there in the middle.” Earl said walking up beside him.
“You don’t think that’s too much space?” He asked as he hammered the eye-hook into the brink wall.
“Nah, old girl is hungry! This year the city landscaping team came in and cut out several acres of vine discovering a couple of those missing girls on the bulletin board. Both bodies found were from years ago, so you should be ok, well, until the city decides to clear some more vine. ” Earl told him.  “After investigating they concluded that the bodies were dumped there and then covered over time by the vine. “
Greg went to get the girl. He entered the bedroom and then gently gathered the edge of the netting and tied it in a big knot. He lifted her off the bed and slung the girl over his shoulder.
Earl held the ladder as Greg struggled to climb back up with the girl. He did his best to keep from jostling and waking her. Once he reached the top rung he balanced the girl on the ladder and pulled the knot of the netting through the eye-hook, embedded in the brick wall, and tied the knot around itself to keep the bundle from sliding out. He hurried down the ladder and left the girl hanging.
“That should do it.” Earl said as they walked back to the house.
s3.amazonaws.com/estock/fspid9/11/26/35/5/melbourne-central-carpark-1126355-h.jpg
Greg never heard a sound from the girl, sometimes they screamed, while the Kudzu vine smothered her under a blanket of leaves. Most Kudzu grew at least a foot per day, but this Kudzu was different, it found nourishment to quickly grow and multiply from the annual human sacrifice.  He fell asleep with great anticipation of seeing his mother. When he walked out the next morning, the entire brick wall was covered with the Kudzu Vine, with nothing but a small lump where he left the girl hanging.
“Nice to see you too mom,” he said to the green leaves flapping against the brink wall, “you’ll make it through the winter now. I’ll see you again next year.” He said has he tenderly caressed a few leaves.

Comments

Popular Posts